Why do you need fillings?
There can be several reasons for needing a filling:
- If decay starts within a tooth it needs to be removed to prevent it progressing further into the tooth. Untreated tooth decay can cause pain, weakness or damage to the nerve in the tooth
- Teeth can chip or develop holes which requires filling to prevent tooth decay.
- Existing fillings can chip or become loose, requiring replacement.
- Older fillings can start to break down and this can weaken the tooth or lead to decay.
- Fillings can become stained or discoloured and so the appearance of a tooth can be improved by replacing them.
What happens when I have a filling?
Your dentist will first remove the decayed tooth material, clean the affected area and then fill the cleaned out cavity with a filling material.
By closing off spaces where bacteria can enter, a filling also helps prevent further decay.
What are fillings made of?
There are different materials available to repair your teeth. These include gold, porcelain, a composite resin (tooth-coloured fillings) and a silver amalgam (an alloy of mercury, silver, copper, tin and sometimes zinc).
For many years silver amalgam was the main material used for fillings, it is a strong material and can still be useful in certain circumstances.
A greater proportion of fillings are now carried out using tooth coloured composite resin. This allows us to bond the material to your tooth, which can help to keep your tooth as strong as possible, as well as matching the colour to ensure it looks good.
How long does a filling take?
This varies based on the size of the filling.
It can take between 15 and 45 minutes to complete, depending on filling required.
How do I know which filling to have?
Your dentist will advise you on the options available for each individual filling you will need. They will discuss the benefits of the various materials and whether you will require a local anaesthetic in order for the procedure to be carried out comfortably.
How much do fillings cost?
The cost of your filling will vary depending on the size, materials used and the expected time required to perform the treatment.
Your dentist will advise you of this at the time of booking and provide you with a written estimate
Silver fillings start from £60 and tooth coloured fillings start from £75. Both silver and tooth coloured fillings are included in the Complete Care Plans
For full pricing details, download our latest Price Guide